Monday, March 12, 2012

French Bread Rolls


I had to post this before Bethany stole my thunder. I called her yesterday to ask about wheat before making these and she had just finished trying the EXACT SAME recipe. So funny. I am going to keep this recipe. We really liked these. I used probably 2/3 whole white wheat and starting to get the hang of making rolls(lately that means using less flour than the recipe calls for). One thing that has really helped is her pictures on the link to her yeast dough tutorial that is in this rolls post. I am feeling much more confident after makin Grandma Lois' rolls, that pizza dough and now these. I doubled the recipe and cooked some large ones for sloppy joes and then froze the others for later use after forming the dough and before letting them raise the second time. (similar to Rhodes) I will update after we've cooked a batch of those. Can't wait!

4 comments:

  1. Glad yours turned out well. I will have to give it another try since mine turned out looking like egg shaped rocks. Mark joked around that we could use them to throw at cars. Oh goody. ;) Sad to say that a whole big bag of them are sitting on my counter right now uneaten. I know it is because I was in a hurry and added way to much flour and to top it off Mark accidentally turned on the oven not knowing that they were in there rising. (I do a rising trick with bread and rolls where I heat up the oven to 175 turn it off and then stick the rolls/bread in there so they rise faster) How did you freeze your uncooked dough? Seran wrap?

    ReplyDelete
  2. After I shaped them and before the second rise, I froze them on a cookie sheet. I covered them with sprayed wrap and froze for 20+ minutes. Then, I was able to put them in a freezer bag without them sticking together. When mom and dad came to visit, I took them out and put them on cookie sheet again with sprayed wrap and let rise in fridge overnight. They still needed a good 4+ hours to rise out of the fridge, though, the next day. Then cook as regular

    ReplyDelete
  3. That sounds so nice that they were all ready for you. I'll have to try this.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I made these again as hamburger buns when we had spinach burgers. THey were really good. I formed them bigger and flattened them a bit. Formed 9 instead of 12. I also doubled this and froze half as rolls after the first raise like Katie said.

    ReplyDelete