Tuesday, March 13, 2012

Cafe Rio Style Tortillas

I made burritos again last night and tried these tortillas this time instead of wheat ones.These turned out much better for me than the wheat recipe I posted before. Maybe I will just try substituting half wheat half white sometimes with these instead of using the other recipe. I had them again for lunch today and as I was rolling it up, they looked so much like the Lynn Wilson kind that Mom used to buy all the time. I have to say though that my burrito along with my mashed avocado for dipping, tasted a lot better than Lynn Wilson's!

I got the recipe from a blog link on Pinterest. You can check out the blog link for pictures, etc. I had a hard time making sense of the recipe with all her extras she threw in so I posted a more concise recipe below. Mine turned out much better when I was able to roll them very thin.

-Bethany

Ingredients for Home Made Flour Tortillas

  • 2 cups white flour
  • 1 1/2 tsp baking powder
  • 1 tsp salt
  • 2 tsp vegetable oil
  • 3/4 c warm water

Mix together all the dry ingredients. In a separate bowl, add the oil into some hot water. .Mix together. Drop the oil/water mixture one teaspoonful at a time into the dry ingredients and stir. Add all the water + oil until you end up with dough. Dump the dough onto a floured surface and start kneading.mIt’s just like you’re making bread, seriously. In fact from now on, just like my bread, I’m going to start doing this in my Kitchenaid mixer because I got tired of doing it by hand several days in a row. Add more flour if you need it. Knead it Pull it apart into several little chunks. This recipe makes about 9 tortillas, minus the pinches of dough my kids ate while I was cooking. Round the dough into little balls. It doesn’t matter if they’re not all the same size. No two tortillas are alike. Cover with a wet kitchen towel and let sit for 20 minutes. Knead out the balls of dough, roll them back, and repeat the wet towel process only for 10 minutes this time. Pound the dough flat, make sure it’s in a circle, and start rolling it flat. You want it to get as flat as humanly possible. Cooking will “thicken” it up, if you will, so get it super thin. .I used my cast iron pan to cook the tortillas, use whatever makes you happy. Spray with a cooking spray or coat the pan with butter, depending on your caloric needs for the day. When the tortilla starts to bubble, flip it over. Cook until just brown in the middle, and you’re done.

http://petitelefant.com/how-to-home-made-tortillas/?utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+petitelefantcom+%28petit+elefant%29

2 comments:

  1. I tried these with half whole wheat and for some reason, my 3/4 of a cup that I used for water is actually closer to 2/3. I am throwing the measureing cup away. Thus, these tortillas gave me a huge work out and only got one to flatten. Judd got a couple more to flatten, but I was sure something went wrong in the recipe. I needed more water. the taste was great, though, so I will be making these again!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have made this recipe twice and the whole wheat recipe from before twice. I think they are both flawed. This one needs more flour or oil so they are easier to roll out. The wheat recipe has way too much water and oil but they are easier to roll out. I think I am going to keep looking for a recipe. I still want to keep making my own since it has been so nice to double the recipe, freeze a group of 6, and pull a pack of 6 out each week. Mark is going crazy with the refried beans so I have to stay way on top of my burrito making. :)

    ReplyDelete