Thursday, April 19, 2012

Summer Squash Soup with Basil

This recipe came right in handy as I needed to use some zucchini and yellow squash that I had from bountiful baskets. Plus, I had a lemon. So that was good. I was the only one that used it, however.The kids loved this. Weird, I know. No picture. sorry to disappoint.

Summer Squash Soup with Basil

Recipe Courtesy of Curtis Aikens
Prep Time:
10 min
Cook Time:
40 min--

Ingredients

  • 2 tablespoons olive oil
  • 1 1/4 pounds zucchini, crookneck or pattypan squash, roughly chopped(I used 6 or 7 yellow sqush/zucchini and chopped into chunks) next time I might add some bulk with potato chunks
  • 1 large onion, chopped(I used 2)
  • 6 cups Summer Vegetable Stock
  • 1/2 cup julienned basil  (i used less than 1/4 cup dried)
  • 1 1/2 tablespoons butter, softened
  • 1 1/2 tablespoons flour
  • Salt and freshly ground pepper to taste(I used about 1 tsp salt)
  • Juice of 1 lemon(reserved for an option)
  • Sour cream or plain yogurt as an accompaniment

Directions

Heat the oil in a large saucepan or stockpot, add zucchini and onion. Saute for 5 minutes or until onions are translucent and zucchini is crisp tender. Then add stock, bring to a boil, reduce heat and partially cover and cook for 25 minutes. Add basil during the last 5 minutes of cooking. Mix the butter and flour together into a paste. Remove 1 cup of simmering stock and whisk in butter mixture until smooth. Add back into soup, stir until thickened. Remove soup from heat to a blender and puree until smooth. Taste and season with salt and pepper. (I also added 1/2 cup cream (as recommended by a commenter) and added some parm cheese at the end. I only pureed 1/2 of the soup in the blender.)Add lemon juice and serve with a dollop of sour cream or yogurt.

1 comment:

  1. I made this last week. I added a 32 oz. carton of chicken stock and two cups whole milk. I used 5 zucchini and threw in about 2 or 3 cups cooked pumpkin I had in my freezer. I thought it was looking so good before I blended half. After I blended it, it was too watery and I was sad I couldn't taste the cooked pumpkin anymore (I love cooked pumpkin). We liked it pretty well. For us it is a good recipe every once in a while and I won't blend it next time.

    ReplyDelete