Monday, April 16, 2012

Chicken & Brown Rice Casserole-good, quick, versitile, healthyish stand by

Was lookin for a brown rice casserole without cream soup and found this. This recipe came from here and some of the comments help if you don't have or don't want to use Lipton soup mix. I didn't use mushrooms(we don't like them) and subsituted half of the brown rice (because we only had one cup on hand) with barley and it turned out great!  I'll remember you can substitute the two for future recipes. We like brown rice and now we like barley, too! who knew? Surprisingly, my kids liked this, too. I think they were hungry, but it was pretty good considering how easy it was. OH! and I only had frozen chicken so I defrosted in microwave for a couple minutes tops and then sliced it into 1.5" strips and layed them on top. I quickly sliced a green pepper and layed that on top to sift through later because my kids wouldn't have eaten it if it had too much of that chopped up in it. I left the house for 1 hour and 45 minutes and it was perfectly done when I got back. Probably could have checked it at 1.5 hours. Next time, I am gonna try to measure the oregano better instead of throwing it in and also gonna try different veggies. Good, quick stand by.

Chicken & Brown Rice Casserole

By Bobbiann on October 25, 2006
3 Reviews
  • Prep Time: 10 mins
  • Total Time: 1 hrs 25 mins
  • Servings: 6

About This Recipe

"This one is a bit healthier and there is no cream soup in it. You can add or remove vegetables and it will still be good."

Ingredients

    • 2 cups brown rice(I used 1 cup barley, 1 cup b rice)
    • 1 (40 g) packages onion soup mix
    • 1 onions, chopped
    • 1 (10 ounce) cans mushrooms (optional)
    • 4 cups water or 4 cups broth(i used costco's organic broth)
    • 1/2 teaspoon oregano
    • 1 teaspoon parsley
    • 1/2 green peppers, chopped
    • 2 lbs chicken pieces ( drumsticks or boneless or whatever)

Directions

  1. In casserole dish, mix together all ingredients except chicken.
  2. Place chicken on top.
  3. Cover and bake at 350º-400º for 1 hour 15 minutes or until rice and chicken are cooked.

2 comments:

  1. THESE ARE THE ONION SOUP COMMENTS FROM FOOD.COM:

    By dsavir

    on July 22, 2008

    This was a great no hassle recipe. I was looking for a quick one dish chicken meal with rice and no dairy products. I didn't have brown rice so I used white; no onion soup mix I put soy sauce oregano and paprika; I put 2 cups white wine and 2 cups water and skipped the green pepper. The results were excellent with the rice coming out like a pilau with the mushrooms and onion - great! It did miss the onion soup mix a bit - next time I'll try to substitute curry powder - I think the results will be awesome. Thanks for posting!

    By pixiesmom

    on November 06, 2007

    I was looking for a recipe for a baked chicken and rice using BROWN rice. It was a gamble being the first to review this. Here is what I did. I sauteed the onion in fresh chopped garlic, and browned the boneless/skinless chicken breasts and thighs. Combined the rice, chicken stock, onion, salt, pepper, paprika, and parsley and 2 tbs soy (I din't have the onion soup mix) - placed the rice mix in a greased casserole topped with the chicken, covered and baked for a little over 1 hour. The rice texture was okay. I will play around with this recipe! Thanks for posting.

    ReplyDelete
  2. NOT so sure this time. I don't knwo why , but the chicken was tough adn the rice took forever this time...... AH!

    ReplyDelete