Monday, April 16, 2012

Crockpot Taco Meat

This was a great way for me to use my dry black beans before they expire. My kids LOVED this. but I think Caleb is part Mexican. I have yet to try with pinto beans and also want to try with a homemade taco seasoning, but I will update when I do. For, now, this was so great and fed us for many meals. (freezing the rest)  Taco salad, tacos, navajo tacos, burritos, quesadillas...etc

  "An easy, healthy, and frugal way to prepare taco meat. Dry beans add fiber, take out the fat, and lower the cost! No prep, just throw everything in the morning and have the start of a great meal ready by supper time!"

 Crockpot Taco Meat

Nutrition Info
  • Calories: 166.0
  • Fat: 7.4g
  • Carbohydrates: 7.2g
  • Protein: 17.0g

Ingredients

2 lb. ground turkey (i used chicken breasts which, again, were partially frozen. just made sure they were done before shredding them--about 6 hours on low and the chicken and beans were done)
1 1/2 cup dried pinto beans
2 tbsp. minced garlic
1 large onion, chopped
1 tsp. salt
2 pkg. taco seasoning
4 c. water

Directions

Place all ingredients in crock pot and stir till blended. Cook on high for 6 to 8 hours. Before serving, stir up the meat mixture. Serve as filling for burritos, tacos, nachos, or taco salad. Makes 12 servings, so freeze half for another night.

Number of Servings: 12

2 comments:

  1. I made this tonight with a homemade mix of taco seasoning. It was so good! We had them as navajo tacos with some rhodes frozen rolls I am trying to use up in my freezer. Just a quick note about that--I used my new tortilla maker to flatten the rolls for scones--it was so easy!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I just had this chicken and ate it like a chicken taco salad. I also had leftovers to make tortillas and have a cafe rio salad. This is a keeper! ( I also used the homemade taco seasoning)

    ReplyDelete