Tuesday, February 4, 2014

Potato Broccoli Cheese Soup

I called Mom to get a cheese soup recipe and she gave me 4 I want to try!  This is the one I started with because I wanted to use up a big potato and some frozen broccoli.  She got this recipe from Gayla Dowdle.  It probably would have been a better texture and flavor if I had chopped the celery, carrots, and onions by hand but I couldn't stand doing all the work so I used my food processor so they were itty bitty.  I don't regret it.:)  This recipe was a keeper.  It was a good hearty soup.

4-5 cups cubed potatoes with skin on (Beth used one big potato and peeled it)
2 C. carrots, sliced diagonally
1-2 C. chopped celery
1 1/2 lb. chopped broccoli  (Beth only did 2 C.  because that's all she had)
1 C. chopped onion
2 tsp. salt
2 1/2 C. water

Steam and simmer all of the above without broccoli for 20 minutes.  Add broccoli and simmer for additional 7 min.
In separate pan:
Melt 1/2 stick of butter. Add 2 C. milk, 1/2 tsp. of dry mustard, and 1/2 C. flour. Heat and stir until thickened. Dissolve 6 cubes of chicken boullion in 2 C. water  (Beth added 3 1/2 C. chicken Broth instead) Add broth to white sauce.  Add 1 1/2 C. grated cheddar cheese to white sauce.  Add drained vegetables to white sauce.  Serves 12-15.

1 comment:

  1. Just made again. So good! I chopped by hand and it was a lot better. I left out broccoli and I loved it. I cut the carrots in semi circles, didn't drain the veggies, used better than bullion instead of cubed bullion. I definitely will make again.

    ReplyDelete