Friday, February 7, 2014

Chocolate Banana Cream Pie

I have been meaning to write this down since I made this for Thanksgiving because it was a big hit.  It was a favorite of the 10 or so pies we had that night.  It would take way too long to write down every step from my betty crocker book so instead I am going to write down the things I want to remember to make it the next time and if anyone needs the recipe you let me know and I will take the time to write it out.

For the crust, I made the one-crust pie on page 123 except that I used butter instead of shortening.  Next time though I may try Press-in-the-Pan Tart Pastry on page 128 since it only calls for butter and it is fast.

For the pie, I followed the instructions for the chocolate-banana cream pie on pg 133 but instead of adding bananas to the bottom of the crust I just skipped them and added the chocolate.  I did this because I didn't want the bananas to go mushy and brown before we ate the pie so right before I served it, I cut bananas up, laid them on top of the chocolate, then smoothed whipped cream over the top.  This worked great.  One note on the chocolate cream--the recipe made more than could fit in the pie.  I left some out and stuck it in the fridge.  This wasn't a problem for me because I just ate it with animal crackers when we got back. :)

1 comment:

  1. I made this again for Thanksgiving and did the fast press in the pan tart with the chocolate and no bananas. It was a hit again. Such a great recipe

    ReplyDelete