Wednesday, February 5, 2014

Burrito Bowls with Creamy Chipotle Sauce

This is what we had for dinner tonight and we really liked them. It had been on my menu list for a while but I always got too frustrated trying to find the chipotle peppers at the store.  I found them for some reason this time.  They were on the mexican isle by enchilada sauce and refried beans.  I don't know how I missed them the other times.  
This is a good meal to prepare ahead because there was a lot of chopping.  I did love however that this meal was full of using my kitchen gadgets.  I made brown rice in my rice cooker, did the sauce in my food processor, and shred the cheese and lettuce with my bosch attachment. The rest of the meal was opening cans and chopping. 
 When I had seconds, I tried heating up the rice/salsa, beans, cheese, and corn first before I topped it with tomatoes,  lettuce, sauce, guacomole, onions, and crushed chips and I liked it a lot better. 



Makes 3-4 burrito bowls

Ingredients
1 cup uncooked rice or quinoa
1/2 cup salsa (restaurant-style, or your favorite store-bought brand)
1 can black beans, rinsed and drained  (Beth used pinto)
2-3 roma tomatoes, diced
1 1/2 cups corn (I used frozen corn, thawed)  (Beth used canned and drained)
Romaine lettuce, chopped  (Beth used her lettuce attachment on bosch)
Creamy chipotle sauce
Other additions: onion, green onion, bell pepper, avocado, cheese, cilantro
(Beth topped with cheese, onion--wish I had done green onion instead, crushed tortilla chips, and guacomole--loved this addition)

Directions
Cook rice. (For firmer rice, use 1 cup rice + 1 1/4 cup water.)
While rice is cooking, prep your veggies and make the creamy chipotle sauce.
When rice is cooked, stir in salsa.
Begin layering your bowl: start with rice, then black beans, and vegetables.
Drizzle the creamy chipotle sauce on top and enjoy.


Creamy Chipotle Sauce--(Beth made in food processor)

Makes about 2/3 cup

Ingredients
1/2 cup plain greek yogurt (or 2/3 cup silken tofu for vegan)  (Beth used sour cream)
1 chipotle in adobo sauce
1/2 tsp. adobo sauce  (Beth ended up using a bit more)
1-2 cloves garlic
1 Tbsp. fresh lime juice
1/8 tsp. cumin

Directions
Scrape away the seeds from the chipotle with a knife (use caution when handling chipotle, and wash your hands when done.)
Add all ingredients to a blender and blend until smooth.
Taste and adjust seasonings/consistency as necessary.

Tips: if the sauce is too thick, thin it out with more lime juice, or olive oil. If it's too thin, add more greek yogurt. If you like a touch of sweetness, add some honey/agave.

No comments:

Post a Comment