Saturday, June 23, 2012

homemade Pop tarts




http://www.100daysofrealfood.com/2012/05/30/recipe-whole-wheat-toaster-pastries-a-k-a-pop-tarts/

I have gotten almost all my recipes off this website! Sheesh! Sorry if you have seen these already...

So, these were SO good! They almost reminded me of lemon bars. So I liked them, but only because they tasted like a dessert. There is SOO much butter in these and we used Apricot homemade jam (which has a lot of sugar in it still). So I don't think they are nutritious, but way better then store bought and other recipes I looked at. So if you find another recipe like this that doesn't have so much butter let me know. Also mine did not look like the ones in the picture. Mine were runny, but they still worked. I didn't roll them out I just plopped them on the cooked sheet with tin foil underneath and folded them over.

So I would definitely make these again. I am going to reduce the butter on it on see if it turns out and maybe used honey? or Carob? or fresh fruit smashed?
Then I think I would feel better eating them.
You will LOVE them!

 http://heavenlyhomemakers.com/homemade-healthy-poptarts
HERE Is a Healthier version I found! I substituted unsweetened applesauce for some of the butter and used plain Greek yogurt. I mashed up some strawberries and used them as the filling (so no sugar added from jam. If you are planning on eating them soon I would do this and add some powdered sugar on top for some extra sweet (but not too much;)). If you are planning to freeze or keep them in the fridge for 2 or 3 days the real strawberries start to turn gooey, turns a dark color and soggy (just not apetizing if you look at it but still yummy). I would use jam if you want to freexe or keep in fridge. ENJOY!

2 comments:

  1. Where did you find these on her website? I don't see them for some reason.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I made these and tried to make these too healthy by substituting some of the butter with oil. The dough just turned out really crumbly and then I had to make them thick. I didn't put enough jam in the middle either so it just tasted like a hunk of dough. :( I think they could have been really good if I had just followed the recipe and not been skimpy on the jam. I also stirred up some powdered sugar, milk,a couple T. of melted butter, and a little vanilla for icing. I poured that over the tops of them. That helped a lot.

    ReplyDelete