Wednesday, October 29, 2014

Navajo Tacos

We made these again last night for part of our fall meals before Halloween. They are always a hit when we make them so I wanted to write this down so I didn't forget this meal idea.
  The recipe I use for the scone dough is the same recipe for dinner rolls from the Betty Crocker Cookbook. I think it is the secret to making them tasty and fluffy.  I substitute 1/2 of the flour with wheat.   I just mix the ingredients, skip the raising, and use my little tortilla press to make them into scones.  It makes it so easy that way!  We usually fry them in olive oil but this time we tried coconut oil and were happy because the smoking point seemed better and we liked the taste. The only thing with coconut oil was the color turned blackish by the end so I was worried that it had turned carcinogenic?  We dumped it in case at the end but I am going to try coconut oil the next time and then I'll have to report.  Just a note on the oil though:  We usually put the oil in a glass tupperware and store it in the fridge after we use it.  We reuse it a couple of times in frying scones before we dump it.  I was reading online though that if the oil smells like a greasy burger joint then you should dump it.  Good to know because ours did when I opened it up and so I dumped it.    We topped these with canned chili (sometimes we have just done refried beans), cheese, salsa, chopped green peppers, and chopped olives.  We usually do lettuce too but skipped it last night.

No comments:

Post a Comment