Tuesday, November 26, 2013

40 Minute wheat rolls

This is a keeper. I have made these a couple times now and I always feel so accomplished when they come out! I just love that I don't have to plan too far ahead for these and they taste great. If you are looking for a wonderfully tender light thanksgiving roll, this probably won't do, but my family still eats these babies right up. I need to double the recipe next time so that we will have leftovers. Both times, I did half wheat, half white, so I have yet to try 100% whole wheat. Don't know why they are called whole wheat rolls, but whatever. OH! AND! The author says you can use these for a hamburger rolls recipe, which I can't wait to have in my back pocket when I need it! I can imagine they would work perfectly for that!

 

40 Minute Whole Wheat Rolls

  • 2 tablespoons yeast
  • 1 cup plus 2 tablespoons warm
  • 1/3 cup oil
  • 1/4 cup sugar
  • 1 egg (if ever without eggs, here's a modified recipe I haven't tried)
  • 1 teaspoon salt
  • 1 1/2 cups whole wheat flour
  • 1 1/2 – 2 cups all purpose flour
Dissolve yeast in water. Add oil and sugar. Let stand 5 minutes. Add egg, salt, and enough flour to form a soft dough.(the amount of flour has varied so much each time so good luck! I've had to practice with bread so much to finally feel like I'm close!) Turn onto floured surface and knead (i use my bosch and knead for like 5-7 min-using the "window pane trick"-you can google that if you don't know when you've kneaded enough) until smooth and elastic, adding remaining flour as needed. Do not let rise. Divide into 12 pieces, shape each into a ball. (I divide according to how big I want them to turn out and have gotten more like 20) Place about 3 inches apart on a greased baking sheet. Cover and let rest 10 minutes. Bake at 425 degrees for 8-10 minutes.
 

1 comment:

  1. these weren't my favorite rolls I have had but for a healthy wheat and a very quick roll they were pretty good. I did have 40 min before Mark came home to let them rise so I did because I was afraid of ruining them. Next time I'll try and be more daring though and skip it.

    ReplyDelete